The leaves are turning brown, the weather’s getting cooler and the nights are drawing in. And that only means one thing – the Autumn term has begun.
If your kids are back to school why not make this quick, no bake, delicious recipe for Back to School bars, a sweet treat for both packed lunches and for your morning coffee break!
Back to School Bars
Makes 8 Bars or 16 Squares
Cooking time: 15-20 minutes + chilling
100g Biscoff Lotus Biscuit Spread
100g Golden Syrup or Honey
100g Light Soft Brown Sugar
85g Rolled Oats
25g Rice Cereal
150g Milk Chocolate Chips
- Kitchen Scales
- 9 x 9 inch baking tray lined with non stick baking parchment
- Large Saucepan
- Wooden Spoon
- Medium size saucepan plus a glass bowl that fits over it without the bowl touching the bottom of the pan
- Metal Spoon
- Weigh out the biscuit spread, syrup and brown sugar into the large saucepan, then place over a low heat until melted and creamy. Make sure to stir the mixture throughout melting so that it doesn’t ‘catch’ on the bottom and start to get too dark.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and leave to cool.
- Once cooled stir in the rolled oats and rice cereal until fully combined with the syrup mixture
- Add 100g of the chocolate chips to the mix and stir thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking tray and press down using the back of the spoon.
- Place the remaining 50g chocolate chips into the glass bowl.
- Add enough hot water into the medium size saucepan to cover the bottom and place the glass bowl on top of the saucepan, making sure the water doesn’t touch the bottom of the glass bowl.
- Place over a low heat until the chocolate chips are fully melted and remove from the heat.
- Using the metal spoon, stir the chocolate thoroughly and drizzle lines of chocolate over the top of your cereal bar mix in the baking tin.
- Refrigerate for around 1 hour and cut into 8 bars or 16 squares.
Serve and enjoy!
nb. I chose not include nuts in this recipe incase of allergies – but the bars are equally tasty substituting the biscuit spread for peanut butter or Nutella. Plus you can add extra chopped nuts, raisins and marshmallows into the mix for a rocky road version that everyone will love.