Celebrate National Breakfast Week with a Full English Breakfast Burrito!
Breakfast is my favourite meal of the day but mornings leave me with very little time to eat properly. With a little inspiration from Old El Paso I’ve found a way to spice up my breakfast on the go!
My mornings are often a rush even on weekends, but there’s nothing I love more when I have the time than to make a full English fry-up for breakfast with a mug of piping hot coffee and a glass of juice on the side. Don’t get me wrong, I love cereal and toast as much as the next person, but a full English is pretty much a staple breakfast for a lot of families in the UK, for me it makes it a great treat. The great British fry-up typically consists of sausages, bacon, eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms, baked beans, hash browns, toast or fried bread and black pudding. Throw in some brown sauce or ketchup and you’ve got yourself a winning combination, but have you ever thought of adding something a little different to spice things up a bit? Old El Paso challenged me to turn an English breakfast into ‘The Brexican’ – using Mexican inspired flavours and ingredients.
Knowing time is never on my side in the mornings, I wanted a dish I could prepare quickly and eat on the go!
Creating the Recipe
I thought about what my favourite ingredients were – sausages, bacon, eggs and beans being top of my list – and then thought about how I could make the breakfast portable. Old El Paso Soft Flour Tortillas seemed the perfect ingredient and meant I could turn my Brexican into a burrito! I also swapped baked beans for Old El Paso refried beans, scrambled the eggs with some Old El Paso Spice Mix for Roasted Tomato and Pepper Fajitas to add seasoning, and layered them up in a tortilla with crispy bacon and meaty sausages topped with chunky tomato salsa. It was a total experiment but it tasted great! To save time (and washing up) I baked most of the ingredients in the oven, then assembled, wrapped, rolled and away I went. For mornings when you have more time, I would also recommend serving the Breakfast Burritos with giant mushrooms topped with more salsa.
Old el Paso Breakfast Burritos Recipe
A Mexican inspired twist on the classic full English breakfast. These Brexican Burritos are made using Old El Paso Roasted Tomato and Pepper Fajita Seasoning Mix, Soft Flour Tortillas and stuffed full of scrambled egg, crispy bacon and meaty sausages – delicious!
20 mins Serves 4
What you’ll need:
8 Rashers of Lean Smoked Bacon
4 Large Mushrooms, e.g. Portobello
6 Large eggs
Old El Paso Roasted Tomato & Pepper Fajita Seasoning Mix
Old El Paso Refried Beans
Old El Paso 8 Super Soft Flour Regular Tortillas
Old El Paso Thick ‘N’ Chunky Salsa
- Preheat the oven to 180 ̊C.
- Spread the bacon, sausages and mushrooms out across 2 baking trays and place in the oven to bake for around 20 minutes until the bacon is crispy and the sausages and mushrooms are cooked through.
- Meanwhile, crack the eggs into the mixing bowl and whisk thoroughly before pouring into a saucepan and cooking on a low heat, until scrambled, stirring slowly throughout.
- In a second saucepan, gently heat the refried beans until hot. Using oven gloves remove the trays of bacon, sausage and mushroom from the oven.
- Finally, warm your tortillas in the microwave for 35-40 seconds.
- To assemble your Breakfast Burritos, spread the refried beans on the soft flour tortillas using a metal spoon, then top with a layer of bacon, sausage, scrambled egg sprinkled with fajita seasoning mix and a large spoonful of salsa.
- To wrap your burritos up – fold the bottom edges upwards, then the sides inwards to create a roll with one open end.
Tip: Try warming the flour tortillas through by simply microwaving for 30 seconds before serving.
For more recipes visit www.oldelpaso.co.uk/mexican-recipes.
Thanks for Reading,